why this blog?
I am writing this blog for a few reasons, some modest, some outlandish.
1) I have a lot of thoughts and opinions about music in church, and I want to have those ideas sharpened and corrected by interaction with other people. (So please comment!)
2) I work as a church musician, and I love it. I want to challenge and encourage other musicians to pour their talent and energy into building up the Body of Christ through the creation of the best music they can make for corporate worship.
3) I want to encourage talented songwriters to pen songs for use in corporate worship, and I want to channel their energies in the right direction to begin doing that.
4) I want to see beautiful music acting as an agent of God’s work through which He transforms and renews the cultural life of individual churches and eventually the Church universal. Music is capable of being a tremendous bridge builder–it can connect us to the past and the future, and it can connect us horizontally to other people from whom we might otherwise be estranged. Schisms cannot be undone with music alone, but good music can help. : )
5) I want the Church to have the best, most creative, tasteful, beautiful, breathtaking music in the world, directed toward the worship of God. And I want the rest of the world to be asking, “How/Why do they do that?”